Ticker

Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Cardinal's First Win!


Yesterday was the second game of the Little League season, Seth's team the Cardinals struggled the first game and lost. Not last night! They played the Astros and won 9 to 7. It was an action packed game. Seth was so proud! He scored his first run of the season.


Seth is an amazing boy. Strong as an ox, and as sensitive and empathic as I have ever seen in a boy. A rambunctious 9 year old, he is like the energizer bunny, he never stops from the second that his eyes open to the second that they close. He is every bit as emotional as his Dad and struggles to contain those emotions and keep them from the world. His face is the window to his soul just like his old man. He knows no enemies and is kind almost to his own detriment.


Seth has been having a bit of an issue with batting this season. Last season, the first game, he was hit by the pitcher. He got beaned right on the left elbow. That pitcher could throw hard, I heard the ball hit all the way up in the scoring box. Right on the bone. Ever since then, Seth has been having trouble with backing out of the batters box when the kids are pitching. He has been working so hard to overcome this, but instincts are hard to overcome. I finally broke down and bought him an elbow guard, hoping that it will help him regain his confidence.


In last night's game, he was doing much better, but pop, he got hit in the shin by the pitcher 3 pitches in. He handled it like a champ! He was brilliant while he was running the bases. He stole second and third and scored his first run! He was so proud!! He couldn't contain himself when I got down from the scorers box. "Did you see, Dad? Did you? I took one for the team! I scored Dad! I scored!." His excitement and pride were so inspiring. I was overwhelmed by how much my approval mattered. For a split second I was 8 or 9 years old looking for my Dad's approval. And how important that approval was.


It is very humbling to be so important to someone. And so rewarding.


Seth! Great Job! Dad is so very proud of you!


Go Cardinals!!

No comments:

Post a Comment