Ticker

Monday, April 6, 2009

Staying the Course


Passion is not something that I have to struggle to find when talking about expanding Texas new born screening laws. It just flows.

All I have to do is barely brush that dark, angry spot in my heart and the passion threatens to overwhelm me and drive me to miss steps in the path that Nicole and I have set ourselves upon. I worry about that quite a bit. I'm afraid of a moment of weakness and straying from the message into the tangled undergrowth that is my grief, my anguish over the loss of our son. My feeling of helplessness while watching Nicole and the boys navigate the storm wracked coarse that we are now trapped upon. The urge to turn off and try to get to calmer surrounding is overwhelming.


The message is what I am desperately grasping onto to right now. A need to get the word out about HB 1795 and SB 1720. The panic mounting as I start to realize the scale of what we are trying to accomplish. The feeling of "What can we hope to accomplish? We aren't famous, we have no special ability to attract attention." I found myself trying to reassure Nicole that these things progress in waves. That there will be lulls in the activity.

How ironic is it that I find myself experiencing the same feelings of exasperation and panic that nothing is happening and hasn't for several weeks?


Staying the course is so hard. The passion comes easy.

1 comment:

  1. I finally got a blog account!! I am so proud of the cause for which you and Nicole are fighting! You are definitely making Grey so proud! --Mitzi

    ReplyDelete