Ticker

Thursday, February 5, 2009

Ready..., GET SET!.....





WHEW!








I won't lie to any of you, it was almost over. The roadblocks were weakening the support that we had managed to find. But then,...


In blew this Divine intervention that I can only attribute to one of Grey's Gifts. Jacque Waggoner. Hunter Kelly's grandmother. And I kid you not, she is a force of nature. What are the odds that this week, the pivotal week, she would have to come to Austin, Texas for training on a new fundraiser software for Hunter's Hope? To perfect, to right, to what was needed.

I must admit, I too had started to succumb to the negativity of the opposition to legislation. State Rep. Paula Pierson had authorized her Chief of Staff Maureen Perro to research the support for our cause for expanded newborn screening. And she too had been told, "oh, there is no monies for that right now; we can't do anything until an advisory board is created; no professional organizations are willing to support until the National Institute of Health advisory board recommends Krabbes for addition to newborn screening; etc, etc."

Nicole, Adrienne and I had pretty much resigned ourselves to the fact that all we might be able to accomplish this State Secession was creation of a State Advisory Board and possibly requirement for doctors and hospitals to educate new parents about supplemental screening and reasons for it. Then suddenly Jacque called me on Saturday to return my calls and tell me how sorry she was about Greyson's death.

I was working as I always do on Saturday, and I had to abruptly end the conversation because my client needed me. But I wanted to continue talking to her,.. She just got... it! The pain, the helplessness, the want to make it better,... everything!

As I hurried to get off the phone, she mentioned that she would be in Austin, but in my haste, I miss understood when she would be coming.

I didn't think about it again over my weekend and then Monday she called me and she was in Austin! She wanted to meet Nicole and I! Then I got a call that she scheduled a meeting with Maureen Perro and wanted us there! We love her!!

The meeting with Rep Pierson's Staff was amazing. Jacque tactfully deflected the budget concerns and caused a 180 degree turn-a-round. Now there is passion, and purpose again.

Thank You Jacque! You will always be in our hearts and a part of our family, we are blessed and honored to know you.


The moment is upon us Grey, and again you have taught us how! The troops are assembling and the fight is almost joined. I Love you Little Man! Ah Da! Will make them all know and love you.!

No comments:

Post a Comment